The City, in partnership with the Downtown Guelph Business Association, University of Guelph and several downtown businesses is undertaking the Safe Semester program again this year. The program will run every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night from August 29 until September 28.
During the program the public can expect the following between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. in the downtown:
· Macdonell Street will be closed to traffic between the Macdonell parking lot and the West Parkade.
· Wyndham Street will be closed to traffic between Carden Street and Cork Street.
· One accessible portable washroom will be placed at Guelph Central Station.
· One taxi stand will be located on the north side of Carden Street across from Guelph Central Station.
· All parking lots will remain open and accessible.
· Guelph Transit will offer late night bus service, starting on the night of Saturday, August 30, from Guelph Central Station to the University of Guelph and surrounding area. Late night service will run from 12:30 a.m. until the last bus leaves the University Centre at 3:30 a.m.
What is new this year is that cars parked on the closed sections of MacDonell Street and Wyndham Street after 11 p.m. will be towed and impounded at the owners expense.