A landlord’s perspective.
Please consider carefully what this proposed program will mean to ALL taxpayers in Guelph and whether tenants can afford the inevitable increases in rent that will be passed on to them as a result of licensing fees.
My name is AM and I am a landlord, Guelph home owner, and life long resident of Guelph.
I am hoping you can take a few minutes to read the link below regarding the problems and financial burden on ALL property owners in London, Ontario with their Rental Licensing Program. The program is a MAJOR financial burden on ALL taxpayers there and has been proven to NOT solve the issues they are trying to address.
Please consider the following:
• There are already existing mechanisms in place to deal with the problems we have with rental housing in Guelph. Let’s enforce the existing bylaws in Guelph and deal with problem landlords and NOT punish the majority of good ones.
• Like any business, any extra fees WILL be passed on to Tenants, many of which cannot afford to pay higher rents.
• Licensing will not control disruptive behaviour of tenants. Increased fines should be given directly to the people that cause noise or show behavioural problems.
• Any taxpayers of Guelph (as in London) will NOT be interested in subsidizing this program as city taxes are already very high.
• Landlords will decrease improvements to properties if they have to pay additional fees to the City. This is simple economics.
Let’s learn from London city council mistakes and improve the tools we already have in place! Thank you for your time. AM